Reverand Gilby Kelly, who presided over the Covington District, helped organize Florence First United Methodist Church in 1842. A lot was purchased on Banklick Street for $80 and deeded July 18, 1842 to trustees T.F. and M.B. Robinson, Will Respess, John Stansifer, and Thomas H. and Lewis Conner. Soon after, a frame building with a dirt floor was constructed.
By 1872, membership had grown to seventy-nine, and on August 20th Florence First United Methodist Church requested formation of the Florence Circuit. In 1900, the circuit had once again changed, forming the Erlanger Charge.
In 1931, a site on Main Street in Florence, was purhased under the pastorate of Rev. G.B. Traynor. In 1935, the existing building was abandoned as unsafe and the lot sold. The new building was completed until 1938, but was occupied since December 1936. Until that time, the church had used the I.O.O.F. Lodge for meeting and services.
In 1939, Rev. W.B. Conn was appointed as the first full time pastor. In 1944 the first parsonage was purchased. In July 1949, an addition was built on the existing building. In 1957, the first parsonage was sold and a new one purchased.
Growth continued and Florence United Methodist expanded its building in 1963 and again in 1968. In 1977, the existing parsonage was again replaced. The first church van was purchased in 1981, which allowed for regular Sunday transportation and youth and other group trips. In 1984, the remaining parts of the building were air conditioned.
In 1990, a Vision 2000 Committee was formed to help the church determine how to expand its mission. It was decided that the church needed to explore the purchase of a larger tract of land for future construction. Fifteen acres on Old Toll Road were purchased in 1993 and construction began in August of 1996. The church met at Boone County High School until June of 1997, when the new building was complete.
In 1998, The Creative Beginnings Preschool opened and Rev. Gary Gibson took over as Senior Pastor. A Narthex addition was approved in April 2007 and was titled the Gathering Place. The Hispanic Ministry was started in 2008, led by Nelson Figueroa.
Through the years, FUMC has been a church that has gone through transitions which have included location moves. But the focus has always been on Jesus and what he expects us to do and be as Christians. Our prayer is that Christ will keep us focused on how we, as a church, can best spread the Word adn the love of a risen Savior. We are intentional about being hospitable. We pray we will always have Open Minds, Open Hearts, and Open Doors for those living in the community of Florence, KY, and beyond. In order to make Disciples for the Transformation of the World, we pray that God will keep us focused on what lies beyond our doors.
For a more detailed history, including a list of FUMC Ministers, click here.